Vintage Wedding Cake







 Weddings.. so many this summer! Stress levels can go high, juggling schedules and commitments can be a little crazy. I backed out of my commitment/focus group because I know that I will have my fair share of wedding cakes and pastries to make and I know that I won't be able to fulfill attending meetings, but still, the fact is, there's that committed I made for my craft and my job. And I love it.

Design.
Next to having a cake flavor tasting, you start discussing design and size of the cake feeding the number of guests at the wedding. 

This design was inspired from a photo I saw at Pinterest.  The bride and the groom liked it and so I took a spin of that design and made it my own.



The Vintage Look
Execution is important. Visual appeal is as important as how the cake taste inside the frosting. I couldn't just stick any flower on that cake and call it a day. For a cake artist like me this is what I do for a living,  I make cakes and pastries look good! But I guess it helps to be ware of what a client wants and what you're able to plan. Do your homework kinda thing. Lucky for me I know the florist the couple hired for the wedding and he is extremely meticulous about his work as well, that is why I like working with him. Check him out at www.florestanyc.com 

Weeks before the wedding I visited him and we spoke about the event. I know on the day of the wedding the flowers I have to go pick up at their shop. They showed me what flowers the bride chose and I shopped for what I thought would work to create the vintage floral arrangement.  

From the flower shop I took visual inspiration on how to arrange the cascading effect and how to connect each element. Striking a balance is important for weight, color flow and clean design. If you notice the cake frosting is uneven and yet it looks clean!

And surely, looking at old photographs and flower arrangements helped me visually how the cake with the flowers is going to look. I didn't have any idea even what the bride picked out for the their flowers. It's like a mystery basket for top chef contestants - only this instance, for cake artists!

But I have to say, I am pretty old school in my preference of design. But if challenged I'm sure I'll be up for it! But hey, this is what I'm good at and I'm gonna try to excel at it. That's the only way to go! 

I like Vintage! 







Comments

Popular Posts