My Sweet'Tart Part 2

let's start with this pastry.. This is my Passionfruit Banana Cream Pie.

I've always wanted to make one.. This! It's very delicate. It's very soft but holds its shape. the crust is flaky. This is a play on textures. Textures that works well together. Soft, airy, a slight crunch and at the same time melting in your mouth.. Doesn't that make you drool thinking about it? I do while writing this.

I par-baked the crust to a golden brown color. Smelling it while it bakes is like butter and and so nutty! A few people passing by the shop were drawn asking what is baking. Not my fault! Makes me think I became the Sugar Pied Piper only this time people follow the smell and the end of the story is - they lived happily ever with our pastries! (haha just kidding)

Why par-baking? This is a pie where the components are separately made and you put them together into the par-baked crust. Takes a bit of a process.

A pastry cream is made with passionfruit puree. Buttercream is prepared. Heavy cream is whipped. The 3 components are folded together to make a Mousseline. Into a baked and cooled crust the mousseline is poured. Fresh ripe bananas are arranged. A layer of Creme Chantilly and baked/crust pastry shell tops the mousseline. The assembled pie is then placed it a freezer for a few hours to set.

The result - it's like a foamy dessert like no other. Simple and yet delectable.

Comments

Popular Posts