Bonjour, Madeleine!




























*Earl Grey Madeleine*


Madeleine, pronounced as "Mad.len", or  "Petite Madeleine" is a spongy cake baked in a pan with shell shaped depressions. They originated from Commercy and Liverdun of the Lorraine region in northeastern France.

I love these little cakes. They're great for afternoon tea. They have a slightly firm exterior and a characteristic hump on the other side of the cake. The inside is soft. The smell of freshly baked cake. A dusting of powdered sugar, or served with Creme Brulee and Ice Cream makes them even fancier.

I remember making these quaint little treats and tried introducing them to a local coffee shop only to be disappointed because they have no idea what it was. Oh well.. I loved them still.

Unpretentious, madeleines are served in the fanciest of occasions - high tea, weddings, soiree...you name it.

Should a madeleine become a part of your morning coffee or tea anytime soon?













Comments

  1. Sounds delightful - I am familiar with madeleine however I have never made them and the earl grey essence intrigues me. I shall put this one on my list to make. Love the teacup too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them too! But don't get to enjoy them all that often. It's a very rare treat here Hans! -Mai

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts