Learning A Skill


When I was a kid, me and my friends would make figures out of clay and it was a fun thing to do. We made cars, airplanes and submarines, different animals, anything a kid's brain could imagine. Activities like so feeds creativity, and the more you have those kinds of activities one may develop the interest and skill. So the more you do it the better you are at it. Clay molding or sculpting requires so much imagination transforming something and breathing life and motion out of a solid piece of medium without form and function. Comparing that of fondant iced cakes, the same principle applies. Practice and plenty of practice achieves proficiency. 

I've fairly concentrated and sharpened my skill on different mediums of frosting and icing my cakes - buttercream and ganache have been the staple but lately I've developed an interest for rolled fondant and sugar flowers. I've rarely made cakes with fondant and I work with a team usually because they're huge wedding cakes but after doing some fondant cakes for a while I thought I can really be good at this if I constantly practice.  In a way I am expanding my skill set.

The best way to learn fondant is to keep doing it and learning techniques to achieve your desired results. A few more posts and you'll see something I can say I am most proud of doing by myself.

The cake you see here was from my class and I'm re-learning the basics of fondant icing and royal icing.

One day I'll be able to post more pictures of fondant cake projects.











Comments

Popular Posts