The Classics Never Go Out Of Style

Fall appeals to me like falling in love again with the classics.. classic desserts that is. Fruits like apples, pears, figs are plenty. Pumpkins and cranberries equally dominate the scene. Nuts and citrus fruits, chocolates, and some really good wine.. ( we'll talk about wines in later posts).

One of my favorite holiday pastry - The Apple Pie. Be it french gallette, tarte aux pommes rissolĂ©es, double crusted, a strudel, tarte tatin - always something comforting about it. 



The second on my list - The Bundt Cake. 

I like the different shape of molds you find in Williams-Sonoma, Sur la Table or some fancy baking supply shops. They can be festive to simple. Here you see 2 versions of Bundt Cake - a Holiday Bundt Cake of Lemon Poppy Seed, Lemon Vanilla Frosting, Shards of tempered chocolate i spread on the smoother side of a bubble wrap to create that wrinkled effect, and some dried cranberries.


The second one is a Spiced Pumpkin Bundt Cake just dusted with powdered sugar. Simple yet so good with tea served with your favorite ice cream, or a bourbon whiskey flavored whipped cream. 







I might not have written about this next cake so I'm gonna take this chance to reintroduce it. It's a Coconut Cake (with Lemon Curd Filling) with Vanilla Buttercream Frosting, Sweetened Coconut Flakes, Candied Kumquats and some fresh flowers. The cake is a Southern Classic. Dressing it up for the holidays makes it very festive and so appealing. Pair this with your favorite tea or coffee.



The Latest and certainly one of the greatest - A summer dessert that's hard to find - The Blueberry Pie. I can only say that it's my new favorite. Served slightly warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream or just by itself can be dangerously tempting. I could eat a whole 9 inch pie by myself..over the course of the day, though, otherwise The Sugar Hippie will be Sugar Happy :)



Comments

Popular Posts