Good Things Always Come In "Pears" (..and Almonds, Too!)


 'Tis the season for apples, pears and nuts!

Sometimes we want to make something different for our pastries. So aside from pies, a Tart is always a good alternative. It's a no-fuzz procedure of docking the pastry dough in your fluted tart pan, par-baking it, filling it with your favorite fruit of the season. However, you can always make a further step to make the tart fancier and more flavorful. The classic Pear and Almond Tart is one of my favorites to make this season. 

If I have some pear brandy, I will poach the pears in it. I will also make some frangipane, or almond filling, to make as my base for my tart. 

After par-baking my pastry dough, I let it cool down and spread the frangipane in the bottom of the pie and arrange the poached pears sliced in wedges.  I put it in the oven until the frangipane is nicely browned and set. 

I let it cool on a wire rack and dust the edges of the tart with confectioner's sugar. It's nice to let it sit for awhile and contemplate how big of a slice you want to have and see if you have vanilla ice cream somewhere in your fridge.. if none, go to the store and hurry up! By the time you come back the tart would have cooled down and ready to slice... and be eaten!





Happy Baking!

Comments

Popular Posts